Whether you’re a law firm or a toll manufacturing company, chances are you have an IT person or department because reliance on technology means needing someone to handle things like network administration, software development and maintenance, cybersecurity, data analysis, and technical support for employees.
Due to the importance of these tasks, finding ways to frequently elevate your business’s IT help desk is prudent. Here are some tips for doing just that.
Expand Your Communication Channels
One of the best ways to elevate any IT help desk is by expanding communication channels because offering a variety of communication channels means improving accessibility for faster, more convenient support to your users.
Here are some ways to expand your communication channels:
- Implement a live chat feature as a convenient way for users to get immediate support
- Consider a mobile app for easier accessibility
- Offer video conferencing for resolving complex issues or for remote support
- Use social media platforms to engage with users who prefer to use social media channels to communicate
Create Self-Service Options
Help desk inquiries can get repetitive so having self-service options means empowering users to resolve common issues on their own, freeing up the IT help desk to focus on more complex issues, leading to the improved overall efficiency of the IT help desk.
Here are some steps to create self-service options:
- Identify the types of issues that users frequently report to the IT help desk – password resets, software installation issues, connectivity problems, etc
- Develop a knowledge base that includes articles on how to resolve common issues. Articles should be written clearly and concisely and include step-by-step instructions and screenshots where necessary
- Create a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section that addresses common questions so that users can get quick answers
- Create video tutorials and walkthroughs that show users how to perform specific troubleshooting tasks
- Make the self-service options easy to find by adding links to the company’s intranet or website, or by integrating the self-service options into the company’s IT help desk software
Gather Feedback and Act on It
Gathering feedback and acting on it is a crucial way to elevate your business’s IT help desk because it not only means improved efficiency and effectiveness of your business’s IT help desk but also higher user satisfaction.
Here are some steps you can take to gather feedback and act on it effectively:
- You can collect feedback in various ways, such as surveys, interviews, focus groups, or even informal conversations with users
- Once you’ve collected feedback, analyze it with visualization tools to identify common themes or issues. Categorize feedback into areas such as response time, quality of service, communication, and technical skills
- Based on the feedback analysis, prioritize the improvements that will have the most impact on user satisfaction and the efficiency of the IT help desk. Create a list of actionable items that can be addressed in the short-term and long term
- Implement the changes identified in the previous step. This may involve revising processes, providing additional training, or introducing new tools or technologies
By implementing these strategies, you can elevate your business’s IT help desk and improve overall efficiency and user satisfaction.